En trevlig artikel från brittiska Metro.
Ett glädjande besked kom den 29 augusti. Svenska UD ändrade sin avrådan och denna text lades ut
”Sri Lanka – avrådan
Med anledning av det förbättrade säkerhetsläget avråder UD inte längre från resor till Sri Lanka.”
Nu finns det möjligheter att få sol och värme på kommande höstlov eller under jul- och nyårsloven.
En rekommenderad artikel – Why we can’t get back to Sri Lanka soon enough
Den 29 augusti lyfte svenska UD avrådan gällande för Sri Lanka. Det innebär att det återigen är enkelt att resa till paradisön.
Resebyrån Transindus är skrivit en skön sammanställning om varför resa till Sri Lanka och när det passar bäst.
Autumn Adventures, Sri Lanka
The evergreen Cultural Triangle remains hugely attractive at this time, but autumn is also the best season to explore the historic sites of the north including Jaffna, and the northern regions beyond.
• Visit Mannar Island, the tiny island with an illustrious history which is thought to have been the stepping stone used by the Monkey God when rescuing the goddess Sita, the site of one of the first Buddhist temple of Sri Lanka, the location of an early Portuguese fort and home of the first British Governor to region.
• Enjoy glorious early morning bird-watching by boat around Adam’s Bridge, a chain of sandy islets stretching across the straits that are thought to have once been a land connection between India and Sri Lanka.
• Cruise around the islands of Palk Bay, including Delft, home to miniature wild horses.
Glorious Winter Vacations, Sri Lanka
December to March is considered the optimal season for Sri Lanka when the weather is warm, sunny, and dry and the sea is at its calmest.
• The lush green hills, tea plantations, and mountains of Sri Lanka’s interiors are at their very best at this time of the year and enjoy fabulous weather. With an unending choice of walks/hikes and beautiful boutique hotels to choose from, this is an ideal location for restful holidays away from madding crowds. Don’t forget a ride on the narrow-gauge Hill Train from Kandy to Ella!
• The cultural Triangle comprising Sigiriya Rock Fort, Dambulla cave temples and the ancient capitals of the Dravidian and Vijayan kings remains ever popular.
• The wildlife parks of Sri Lanka re-open in winter after the monsoon hibernation, and a safari in search of Leopard and Sloth Bears is a must at this time of the year.
• Colombo and Galle both turn festive in February. Colombo celebrates the Navam Perahera to mark the birth of The Buddha, while Galle enjoys its much-lauded literary festival.
Spring Beach Breaks, Sri Lanka
Spring in Sri Lanka runs from mid-February to the end of April and sees glorious weather, making it ideal for easter vacations.
This is when you can head to the beaches of the South Coast with the family to simply relax, spot dolphins and giant blue whales or seek out nesting turtles.
• If you feel active you can tag on a trek to the top of Sigiriya Rock and experience the ancient capitals of Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa.
• The green Hills & Tea plantations are never far away! If you do venture out, don’t forget to blend your very own tea here!.
• Experience the Kandy – Ella Hill Railway said to be one of the world’s most scenic train journeys.
• Go on a safari in search of Leopard and Sloth Bears in Yala, Sri Lanka’s best-known National Park.
Summer Experiences, Sri Lanka
Uniquely for South Asia, Sri Lanka’s summer season (May to September) offers just as many delights as other seasons, making it an ideal destination for family holidays over the school recess.
• The summer is when the stunning beaches of the East Coast with their amazing deluxe and boutique hotels are at their best.
• Enjoy a day of joyful cruising to track dolphins and whales.
• Snorkel alongside Turtles & Manta Rays on Pigeon Island.
• Catch the waves at Arugam Bay, a must for surfing enthusiasts.
• July, partake in the Esala Perahera, Kandy’s most important festival.
• Late August, experience the Great Elephant Gathering in Minneriya National Park, a huge hit with young children.
• Travel northwards to Trincomalee to experience its rich cultural heritage, grand temples and pristine white beaches.
|24 JULI 2022–Slutet av juli. Het sommar i Europa, men även ”hett” på Sri Lanka. I detta fora avstår jag från att kommentera den politiska och ekonomiska utveckligen. Det jag dock vet är att Sri Lanka och dess befolkning kommer tillbaka. Förhoppningsvis kommer länder som har långvariga relationer med Sri Lanka att stödja på olika sätt. Sverige kan börja med att tillsammans med övriga EU-länder ta bort avrådan.Förr eller senare fylls flygen även med svenskar som längtar till paradisön. Nyhetsbrevet innehåller artiklar som inspirerar och förhoppningsvis lockar till resande. Missa inte kulturfestivalen på Djurgården (se nedan). Mat och litteratur är det bästa sättet att lära sig om ett land. Fortsatt trevlig sommar och vi ses på Sri Lanka!Leif I Ohlson|
En uppdatering från en resebyrå på Sri Lanka som vi gärna delar.
In our previous updates, we did mention Sri Lanka’s Economic crisis was going to last for 3 months (up to August) and the worst was yet to come, and that moment has arrived.
The Government of Sri Lanka announced a day before, starting 28th June & up to 10th Of July fuel will be only issued for essential services categorized as per the Gazette notification which includes Medical services, Military & Police, Public transport, Export-oriented services, Airports, and Tourism. All others were requested to curtail travel & work from home. The Schools too were closed.
This was a sensible decision to manage the fuel stocks at hand & until such time new stocks arrive post 10th Of July. As we speak, the following actions are taken by the Government of Sri Lanka to restore energy security to the country & stabilize the economy.
- In a step close to integration with India in energy security, Sri Lanka has sought to purchase four shipments of fuel – 40,000 tons each- from India on cash payment terms, India is a bulk purchaser of fuel from the global market with attractive discounts. Initially, a shipment of diesel will be dispatched. Afterwards, petrol will be sent depending on the requirements. However, it will take at least one more week for the purchase to materialize.
- Our Energy Minister is currently in Qatar for a meeting with State Energy Minister.
- The Cabinet approval was granted to open fuel imports and retail sales market to companies from oil-exporting nations, the companies will be selected upon their ability to import fuel and operate without Forex requirements from the Central Bank of Sri Lanka.
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) team is in the country speaking with the Government on a bailout program, The IMF team, visiting Colombo through June 30, is continuing talks on what would be Sri Lanka’s 17th rescue program. The IMF has reaffirmed its commitment to support Sri Lanka at this difficult time, in line with the IMF’s policies.
We feel the IMF visit, overlapping with debt restructuring talks, will yield a quick staff-level agreement and a fast track for IMF board disbursements. IMF program is crucial to access bridge financing from sources such as the World Bank and Asian Development Bank.
- A high-level delegation representing the U.S. Department of the Treasury and the U.S. Department of State is also in Sri Lanka currently Members of the delegation include Robert Kaproth, Deputy Assistant Secretary of Treasury for Asia, and Ambassador Kelly Keiderling, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asia. The visitors met with a wide range of political representatives, economists, and international organizations. In all their meetings, they are exploring the most effective ways for the U.S. to support Sri Lankans in need.
Over the past two weeks, the U.S. has announced $120 million in new financing for Sri Lankan small and medium-sized businesses, a $27 million contribution to Sri Lanka’s dairy industry, and $5.75 million in humanitarian assistance to help those hit hardest by the economic crisis. The United States also committed $6 million in new grants to provide livelihood assistance to vulnerable populations, and technical assistance on financial reform that will help stabilize the economy. In the coming months, the U.S. will continue to support Sri Lankans as they revive their economy, combat food insecurity, and promote public health and education. The United States also strongly supports Sri Lanka’s decision to seek assistance from the International Monetary Fund, which can provide the most durable resolution to the present crisis.
- A high-level 3-member team from India visited Sri Lanka and held talks with both the PM & the President. The purpose is to look at how to support Sri Lanka during these challenging times.
- Payments for Domestic Gas have been made by the government and the shipments are expected to arrive between the 7th – 12th of July.
- The Australian Cricket Team is currently in Sri Lanka and has been very supportive towards the Island nation’s struggle
- The government is currently holding talks with multiple nations including, the US, Japan, India, and China who have pledged their support
Finally, the Tourism industry is very resilient & we are continuing to receive & service guests in Sri Lanka. By Categorizing Tourism as an essential service, we receive fuel on a priority basis throughout Sri Lanka which has helped us to provide uninterrupted services.
We have been in constant touch with all hotels around Sri Lanka and are pleased to confirm they have no shortages of fuel, food, and beverages. Importation of Certain food items, wines, and alcohol from Overseas too continues uninterrupted.
This is not the case for the general public, sadly the daily struggles continue, but we are all aware we are on the right path to recovery and the change we all want to see in our country’s future course.
En härlig sammanställning om vad göra på underbara Sri Lanka.
The Ministry of Health in Sri Lanka has further relaxed travel protocols to Sri Lanka. Kindly note the change denoted below in Green pertaining to the COVID-19 insurance.
These change has taken effect since 17 June 2022.
- Unvaccinated/ Partially-Vaccinated Travellers (12 years and above) to carry a negative COVID-19 PCR test report (done within 72 hours prior to embarkation) OR Rapid Antigen Test report (done within 48 hours prior to embarkation), Self Swabs are disallowed.
- The original vaccination certificate/ vaccination card/ verifiable evidence of vaccination, PCR test report/ RAT test report should be produced (in English).
- The mandatory requirement to have an insurance coverage for COVID-19 treatment is lifted with effect from 17 June 2022.
- Submission of Health Declaration Form is not required.
- Definition of a Fully Vaccinated Traveller (applicable to Sri Lanka) – If taken a two-dose vaccine (Pfizer, Sinopharm, Moderna, AstraZeneca etc.) or recommended combination of vaccine (e.g. Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca) or if taken a single dose vaccine (e.g. Janssen etc.) and depart two weeks after obtaining the vaccine.
Procedure after formalities at the Airport
Vaccinated(departed 14 days after complete vaccination)
**No Covid-19 tests (PCR or RAT) required to be done BEFORE travelling to Sri Lanka.
- Free to travel to the community WITHOUT any other tests or quarantine stays.
- Children (18 years and below) if departed 14 days after obtaining at least a single dose of a recognised Vaccine, will be considered ‘Fully Vaccinated’.
Unvaccinated Children of Vaccinated Parents
- Up to 12 Years: No tests are needed.
- 12 – 18 Years: Exempted from pre-boarding and on arrival (day 1) COVID-19 test if departed two weeks after obtaining at least a single dose of Pfizer/ Moderna vaccine as that will be considered as ”Fully Vaccinated”.
Unvaccinated/ Partially Vaccinated
- Should mandatorily carry a negative COVID-19 PCR test report done within 72 hours prior to embarkation OR RAT done within 48 hours prior to embarkation.
- Exempted from On-Arrival (day 1) PCR Test.
- No further quarantine required if arriving with a negative test.
Unvaccinated Children of Unvaccinated/ Partially Vaccinated Parents
- Up to 12 Years: No tests are needed
- 12-18 Years: Protocol same as ’Unvaccinated/ Partially Vaccinated’ Parents.
- Travellers with a history of COVID-19 infection more than 6 months before date of departure with a single dose of a two-dose vaccine are NOT considered ’fully vaccinated’. Therefore they should arrive with a negative pre-boarding COVID-19 test but will be exempted from on-arrival (day 1) test.
- Persons who have taken at least a single dose of a two-dose vaccine and after vaccination had COVID-19 infection during the past six months will be considered as ”Fully Vaccinated” and exempted from pre-boarding and on-arrival (day 1) COIVD-19 test.
- Persons who had COVID-19 infection within past six months and after the infection taken a single dose of a two-dose vaccine will be considered as fully vaccinated and exempted from pre-boarding and on arrival (day 1) COVID-19 test.
- Persons with COVID-19 infection should depart from their country to travel to Sri Lanka after 7 days of onset of COVID-19 infection. They should carry a diagnosis card or verifiable evidence of positive COIVD-19 test report (PCR/RAT) as a proof of past history of illness.
- If travellers become infected with COVID-19 after arriving to Sri Lanka, isolation up to 7 days in an approved ’Safe & Secure certified’ hotel is mandatory.
Local Regulation on Wearing Face Masks
Sri Lanka has decided to relax the mandatory rule on wearing face masks. Therefore, wearing the face mask will not be mandatory at public places, except when using public transport, and during indoor events.
Sri Lanka Tourism har meddelat att nya rutiner för turister som vill använda drönare i landet tillämpas numera.
Statistik för februari 2022 från Sri Lanka Tourism. Värt att notera är att Danmark fortsätter att vara ett större marknad än Sverige. Det har inte varit fallet tidigare. Beror bedömt på bra gruppförsäljning.
I dokumentet kommenteras påverkan av den ryska invasionen av Ukraina på Sri Lanka turism. Detta då ryssar är den största gruppen och resenärer från Ukraina varit 5:e största tidigare.
Det finns även intressant undersökning som ger en uppfattning om varför turisten besöker Sri Lanka.